Monday, October 21, 2013

Snow White Self Portrait Series


My original idea about this post was to explain the differences between self portraits with a concept and just the typical self portrait that most people take. However, I feel like that is not what I want to do anymore. I have done quite a few self portrait "series". ( I put series in quotes due to some of the series are just a couple of images) Being a photographer you are called on to do self portraits for one reason or another, such as school assignments, or lack of models for a shoot. Most of the time I don't really want to be the one in the image. For me being the creator of the image is more important than the subject in the image. 

In today's social media frenzied world, there is an abundance of images of one's self, taken by one's self. Or from what my 14 year old niece told me..they are called selfies? I am very proud to say that being a 25 year old woman I did not know what that was. I am very proud that my 13 year old niece was the one to fill me in on that teen bop slang. 

My self portraits are art. 


This short series is my take on a Snow White type of concept. The outcome of this series was very exciting for me. I felt good about these images. I set this up in my bathroom, with one hot light and a self timer on the camera.

There are three images from the series shown as single images, while the three on the bottom are fitted in a triptych style of display. 







 The lose idea of a concept of bathrooms and fairytale type of characters is something I hope to work more with in the future. 






This image is just a bonus. I liked it. :) 



Self portraits in art are for a purpose they are not for vanity. To confuse the two is a sad reality. I just hope when people look at art the know that it has a purpose deeper than just a pretty picture.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Purchase my work on Society6!