Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Portraits




These two images were created to pay respect to the beauty of age.
Portraits... oh portraits.... I wish I were better at portraits. I think it is a talent that is rare. But when someone does have the talent, they really have something special. To work with people in a way that you can capture this magnificent moment between them and the camera, that is so real and energetic, and yet gives the viewer something to hold on to and remember about the portrait. That is magic. Also I believe there is this patience photographers need when working with other people. They also need to be great directors, and be able to fully express what they want from the sitter. That is part of the success of an amazing portrait photographer. I don't necessarily mean the studio type of portrait. I am more speaking of a Sally Mann, Diane Arbus, Irving Penn, Richard Avedon, Collier Schorr, Robert Bergman, Nan Goldin, Andrea Modica, and Alec Sloth (to name a few of my favorites) that are creating or have created these deep portraits of people. They have stories behind them, they are not just glamor shots. There is a concept.

I am not a good portrait taker. I believe I can take a mediocre portrait. However, I feel like I don't have that special knack to create the deep images that I spoke of. I had fun creating these images. I have taken a few more since then, but I will spare you the boredom of looking at those. :)


These images range from 2011 to 2012. I took some for school assignments, others I took because I was hired to do so. Thankfully, all of these people were great at working with me, and helping me create these great images.






My youngest niece in a fashion type of portrait.
My niece again... I was very very happy with her shoot. She was such an amazing listener! She had some great ideas we worked with, and she is just a natural little model.
Portraits from my band shoot.
Another portrait from my band shoot.




8th grade dance portraits.
Another 8th grade dance shot.
I had a good time taking these images. He looked so good with his suit and his date. This was a fun one.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Purchase my work on Society6!